Submit an application for the 2023 BOOM Universe Residency Program!
Residencies start June 2023.
Supporting individual artists has been a main focus at BOOM Concepts since its inception in 2014. Starting with our micro residency program in 2015, our goal has been to provide artists with temporary space to experiment with their creative practices, explore different pathways to make their art careers more sustainable and assist with professional & business development utilizing strategic processes based on their goals.
In 2021, BOOM Concepts modified its in-house programming from Unblurred First Friday month-long gallery exhibitions to a full residency program offering 60 Day periods artists could work at our main location. BOOM Concepts has also partnered with Radiant Hall to offer 4 additional 90 Day periods at their studio spaces, combining the shared goal of offering more skill-building support, resources, and access to unique facilities.
About the BOOM Universe Residency Program:
The BOOM Universe Program offers the following supports to all selected artists:
- 60 Day Residency (5139 Penn Ave)
- $1000 Artist Stipend
- On-Site Installation support
- On Site Studio @ BOOM Concepts
- Professional Documentation Of Work
- 7 Day BOOM Concepts Instagram Takeover (optional)
- 2 Proposal Development Sessions (Grant, Residency, Public Art RFQ)
- 1 CV Audit
- BOOM Store BIGartSALE (1 full weekend artist focused sales push)
- Artist professional & business development and wellness opportunities
The BOOM Concepts x Radiant Hall Residency Program offers the following supports to all selected artists:
- 90 Day Residency
- $500 Artists Stipend
- Studio Space (approx. 90-110 sq. ft.)
- Access to Radiant Hall’s artist support programs including but not limited to: Group Critiques, 1:1 Studio Visits, workshops, and professional development opportunities
- Promotion of the resident, and any relevant work and exhibitions via Radiant Hall’s newsletter, website, and social media platforms
- Individualized residency participant support including CV review, partner organization connections, and workshop or project facilitation as requested
Steps for Interested Artists:
- Learn about BOOM Concepts – follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Ask yourself: Am I Black, Brown, Queer or Femme? If not – maybe consider sending this opportunity to somebody who is.
- Think about “what, why and how” you would like to work on a concept for 60 – 90 days.
- Artists must live in Pittsburgh or surrounding counties including Armstrong, Westmoreland, Washington, Beaver and Butler to submit for the residency program. (Program does not provide housing.)
- Submit the following items:
- Artist CV or Resume
- Sample work: Submit sample work of past and current projects. Sample work can include but is not limited to photos, videos, gifs, writing samples, audio tracks, etc. The work submitted should represent your aesthetic, values, and artistic direction. Files and Hyperlinks should be labeled as clearly as possible, including timestamps if needed.
- Provide a 1-2 paragraph cover letter describing your proposed residency project. Identify areas of growth and how BOOM Concepts can support and incubate your creative practice. Please be as detailed as possible. Feel free to reach out with any questions you may have.
Please submit your CV/Resume utilizing the BOOM Concepts Residency form found here: https://forms.gle/TeEE2NC5JVWoTuaq5
*All Form Submissions and Informational Emails MUST be received by Midnight April 6th, 2023 (Eastern Standard Time)*
*If you have issues submitting your CV and Sample Work, please email email@example.com for alternative submission instructions
BOOM Concepts is a creative hub dedicated to the advancement of black, brown, queer and femme artists. BOOM Concepts is located in Pittsburgh and since 2014 has curated 50+ exhibitions on-site, paid out over $100k in artists fees and produced 200+ events across the country. BOOM Concepts serves as a space for field building, knowledge sharing, mentorship, and storytelling. In its 8th year, BOOM Concepts continues to work with creatives to find innovative strategies around entrepreneurship and artistic practice. In 2021, BOOM Concepts was selected to represent Pittsburgh for the Google Arts & Culture platform and was identified as an American Cultural Treasure through The Heinz Endowments and The Ford Foundation.