In 2021, BOOM Concepts modified its in-house programming from Unblurred First Friday month-long gallery exhibitions to a 2-month residency program. BOOM Concepts hosted 4 artists on site at 5139 Penn Avenue from April – November. BOOM Concepts additionally supported 3 additional artists with residency opportunities through a partnership with Radiant Hall that supported and provided studio space and participation in Radiant Hall resources from July – November 2021.
For BOOM Concepts’ 2022 Residency Programming season, we are announcing the second in-house BOOM Universe Residency Program opportunity along with opening submissions to the new BOOM Concepts x Radiant Hall Residency Program.
The BOOM Universe Program offers the following supports to all selected artists:
- 60 Day Residency
- $1000 Artist Stipend
- On-Site Installation support
- On Site Studio @ BOOM Concepts
- Professional Documentation Of Work
- 7 Day BOOM Concepts Instagram Takeover (optional)
- 2 Proposal Development Sessions (Grant, Residency, Public Art RFQ)
- 1 CV Audit
- BOOM Store BIGartSALE (1 full weekend artist focused sales push)
- Artist professional & business development and wellness opportunities
The BOOM Concepts x Radiant Hall Residency Program offers the following supports to all selected artists:
- 90 Day Residency
- $500 Artists Stipend
- Studio Space (approx. 90-110 sq. ft.)
- Access to Radiant Hall’s artist support programs including but not limited to: Group Critiques, 1:1 Studio Visits, workshops, and professional development opportunities
- Promotion of the resident participant, and any relevant work and exhibitions via Radiant Hall’s newsletter, website, and social media platforms
- Individualized residency participant support including CV review, partner organization connections, and workshop or project facilitation as requested
Steps for Interested Artists:
- Learn about BOOM Concepts – follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Ask yourself: Am I Black, Brown, Queer or Femme? If not – maybe consider sending this opportunity to somebody who is.
- Think about “what, why and how” you would like to work on a concept for 60 – 90 days.
- Submit the following items:
- Artist CV or Resume
- Sample work: Submit sample work of past and current projects. Sample work can include but is not limited to photos, videos, gifs, writing samples, audio tracks, etc. The work submitted should represent your aesthetic, values, and artistic direction. Files and Hyperlinks should be labeled as clearly as possible, including timestamps if needed.
- Provide a 1-2 paragraph cover letter describing your proposed residency project. Identify areas of growth and how BOOM Concepts can support and incubate your creative practice. Please be as detailed as possible. Feel free to reach out with any questions you may have.
Please submit your CV/Resume utilizing the BOOM Concepts Residency form found here: https://forms.gle/c99HvUf4bfpKwywN8
*All Form Submissions and Informational Emails MUST be received by Midnight April 4, 2022 (Eastern Standard Time)*
*If you have issues submitting your CV and Sample Work, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for alternative submission instructions.
BOOM Concepts continues to adapt programming and be responsive to artists’ voices in an effort to maintain a strong presence in the Pittsburgh Arts community. Working within the new norm of Covid-19 protocols, BOOM Concepts has continued to support artists in their creative endeavors and provide them a space to develop, expand, show and sell their work.
BOOM Concepts is a creative hub dedicated to the advancement of Black, Brown, Queer and Femme artists. BOOM Concepts is located in Pittsburgh and since 2014 has curated 50 exhibitions on-site, paid out over $75k in artists fees and produced 200+ events across the country. BOOM Concepts serves as a space for field building, knowledge sharing, mentorship, and storytelling. In its 8th year, BOOM Concepts continues to work with creatives to find innovative strategies around entrepreneurship and artistic practice. In 2021, BOOM Concepts was selected to represent Pittsburgh for the Google Arts & Culture platform and was identified as an American Cultural Treasure through The Heinz Endowments and The Ford Foundation.